BLC's Community Blog - the Gatherings, Life Groups, discipleship, social issues, prayers, worship experiences, insights into the Scripture... no random statements of who we had lunch with and what our dogs ate for breakfast. The place where strangers get to know us as a community, who we are, what we're like, how we function, and to experience what it'll be like to be a part of us.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Children are the church of today too!

The about 45minutes spent today with the 8 children (and parents and helpers) was a rewarding one. I was especially touched when during our mini-feast time, when I asked who would like to share biscuit with me (after I had given away all of mine), one of the children immediately offered one for me. Then, there were many little suprises in their response to my "modeling" whether it's walking slowly, talking softly and the use of the "special space" rug that really touched me. I'm not children worker veteran (in fact I never saw myself in that category) but today's "less than perfect and even "fumbling" first "orientation" session was a small and significant win I'd liek tocelebrate and be thankful. All of us wanted to see this work and even with some glitches here and there, overall I came home today feeling wonderful. Because, I sense God's approval and affirmation on what we are trying to do here. And now it's to stick on the track ... there's still so much more to learn and thank God ... there are people cheering us on. At least that's how I felt after having dinner with a veteran children's ministy worker and a intergenerational worship, Christian education and church guru (Many thanks to the host who provided dinner and a listening ear). All in all it's been a pretty good Sunday.
~ for more on the values that motivates me in regards children's (family & intergenerational) ministry read here

He spoke on the subject of Knowing God, with special emphasis on the very Trinity itself.

As usual, the most engaging discussions happened after the 'official' event. Some would stay back and ask questions, those who are called 'mavens' (I forgot where Sivin got the name), and my, were they tough questions!

Sometimes, as Sivin said, the only thing we can do is be silent in the presence of greatness. God's majesty.

Man can only explain away so much without trying to throw God into a box. What is a Creator whom the creation can fully understand?
~ Thanks to Ben Ong for capturing this moment last Friday, more insights from him and a picture here

Both events had quite a number of "delightful" surprises ... this reminds me that "God indeed is a God of surprises!" I've heard of the phrase Children or youth are the church of tomorrow (in some sense there's some truth in that) but I was encouraged by Dr. Allan Harkness (intergenerational Christian education guru) that we need to see them as the church of today. Then we won't miss God is doing NOW! and we would also be more sentitive in facilitating an enviroment where we could all flow into what God is doing NOW! It's not over yet, it's a mere beginning ...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SB: I am touched that BLC is earnestly ministering to its children. What is particularly important to me is the fact that there is an emphasis on individuality- making the children feel special, worthwhile and loved. This surely how God wants it to be!

5:03 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home